Friday, July 14, 2006

Round 3 - Comic Book Inking... Brush style!


After posting my last 2 attempts at comic book inking, I was given some very valuable feedback from Rich Faber, a very talented professional comic book inker. If you haven't seen Rich's work, do yourself a favor and click on the link to his blog here. Go to his website from his blog and check out the gorgeous pages he has inked. He also has a couple classic monsters lurking on his site, so what are you waiting for?? The biggest suggestion Rich gave me was to take a shot at inking with a brush, rather than with technical pens. This is the result- done entirely with a brush and india ink, with some detailing and clean up done with an 005 technical pen. I knew this one was going to be a challenge before I started it, but with all the tasty little details, I couldn't resist! I must say that I loved working with the brush and I am certianly going to continue using it! My inks are on the left, the pencils are on the right. Thanks so much Rich for your advice and guidance, I really appreciate it! And I would also love to hear from anyone else that would like to comment on this round of inking!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My God! Keep up the brushwork! I'm completely enamored with your comic pages. Let's see a lot more.

Rich Faber said...

Hey Patrick,

Wow, thanks for the super-nice comments about me and my work, and also for sending folks my way. I really appreciate it!

As for the work, from what I can see, it looks like you're doing a pretty good job with that brush so far! Keep it up!

As for the questions you left for me on my blog, I'll email you privately.

Best,
Rich
www.thinkinkstudios.com
http://richfaber.blogspot.com

Kevin Keele said...

This is very nice, Patrick. You're able to get a cool, different look out of the brush than we're used to seeing. Very distinctive! I like it. Oh, and thanks for the link.