Thursday, May 04, 2006

Dreams Do Come True





1996- Has it really been 10 years since I did this project?? So it is no secret that I am a big fan of KISS. Not so much lately, but for many many years I was a die-hard. I got into them back when I was 9. So when I was asked to draw the artwork for their official silver commemorative coins back in 1996, it was really a dream come true for me. At the time, I was freelancing for a coin company in Provo, Utah called Liberty Mint. It was my first steady freelance job, and I had become pretty good friends with the art director, another very talented artist/designer by the name of Darren Albertson.
When Liberty Mint landed a deal with Sony Signatures, Darren knew I was a KISS fan, so he asked if I would be interested in doing the artwork for the project- needless to say I was thrilled, and the pencil drawings you see here are what I came up with. The art has to be drawn in a specific way so that the coin sculptor can produce the relief sculpt for the die- (was always interesting to do artwork for coins). These were all just a number 2 pencil on paper. Sorry about the odd shadows and such on these, I took photos of them with my digital camera, and I am obviously no pro. If you would like to see the actual coin set, you can visit http://www.kissasylum.com/photos/KISSSET.JPG. There are several different photos if you back up a page or two, none of them are very sharp or clear, but I have not had time to photograph the coins I own.
I am hoping to get a chance to do more artwork for some of the bands I love, it is always fun to do- so if anyone can hook me up with The Drive By Truckers, let me know... Although their artist Wes Freed does a FANTASTIC job as it is. Check out Wes' work at http://www.wesfreed.com/. I love his style!

3 comments:

Hans said...

You rock! As much as I want to see your new artwork, I enjoy your prior work too. You captured the Kiss guys' expressions and characters well in these drawings.

Hans

Lou said...

Great job with these. I can see why you were asked to do the project! I agree with Hans. I enjoy seeing your old stuff as much as your new stuff.

Andrea said...

Nice! That was a sweet set-up. No one beats KISS...they rock and they have every piece of merchandise known to man. Did you get to meet any of them?